RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ratio of ballast tank holes

Frank,

That is what I was alluding to when I answered the first thread.  Hugh.

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, 19 May 2010 4:26 p.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ratio of ballast tank holes

The thread started by Jens reminded me of a question that pops into my head sometimes......

First off, with the sub at neutral buoyancy it's correct procedure to "drive" to the surface before blowing ballast. But.......

If a sub is down say 300 feet and the pilot wants to ascend, and he dumps a little air into the soft ballast tanks to begin rising then as the sub rises the bubble will expand and push more water out the open hole.

The ascent rate would increase as more water is pushed out by the expanding bubble. The more you ascend, the faster the bubble expands, and the faster you ascend.

Some questions come to mind.

Can the ascent rate become so fast that a large pressure differential builds up between the water pressure outside and the ballast tank pressure inside the soft tanks. If the water can't get out fast enough the pressure could build up inside the tank as the bubble expands, and it could damage the relatively thin soft tanks.

The pilot could open the air release valve on the ballast tank but if the holes in the tank bottoms were too small, a pressure differential could develop. What is the right ratio of ballast tank air vent and water inlet holes ?

How is this ratio calculated ?

Would it make sense to have a pressure gage inside the ballast tanks so a comparison between ambient pressure and tank internal pressure could be observed ? If a pressure differential developed because the ascent rate was overcoming the ballast tank's ability to dump the water, it would be necessary to open the ballast tank air vent valve to release the pressure.

Most soft ballast tanks are made from sheet metal and not meant to handle much pressure differential.

Frank D.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5125 (20100518) __________

http://www.eset.com