Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] platform blow-out

I work for food.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thu, Apr 29, 2010 1:30 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] platform blow-out

In a message dated 4/29/2010 8:27:31 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, vbra676539@aol.com writes:
One of the best ops of its type was to use the ROV as the work platform and do observation and control from a submersible. But I'm prejudiced that way. There's nothing like putting what the US Navy calls the "Mark I Human Eyeball" directly on site. No camera can compare.
Yes, it's sad to see an accident like this. The loss of workers lives and now a big mess to clean up.
It's odd the news media hasn't had a lot of pictures to show us like when the floating oil rig sank. Maybe there will be more pictures available later.
The ROV's they have available are pretty interesting. I've seen a few of the big "worker" ROV's and there are a lot of tools they can deploy. Like Vance said, it must be a big mess down there too or it would have been repaired already. There aren't many subs available that can get to 5,000 feet and ROV's are what all the deep ocean outfits are using now. I wish them good luck in this big mess.
I heard yesterday that approval was received for building a wind farm off the coast of Chesapeak Bay at 5 miles off shore. The water must be pretty deep out there too. Something like 1400 turbines are planned just in that one location with several more locations being considered. I wonder if they need any private submarines for survey work or other tasks. That could be fun for a sub owner.
You'd probably need to be ABS certified and insured etc. Maybe Hugh could bring out Comsub and get some work there. That's a pretty nice boat with room and capacity for serious work. I wonder how much it costs to hire a submarine and pilot. Lots I'll bet.
Frank D.