Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:39 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Periscope Camera

I have an idea for a simple periscope camera.
You all know I like having a ball valve on every hull penetration, but running a video cable through a hole presents a problem. I was looking at various types of cameras and came across some "pencil" type cameras. They cost about $30 and have a little memory chip in them. If it would be possible to run a cable directly from the camera to a laptop computer or video screen, then the small size of the camera makes it possible to just push it up through an opening into a plexiglass tube and rotate the camera by hand.
Here's a little sketch of the concept........

Not much detail in the sketch but you get the idea. I don't think the resolution on these little cameras is very good but it could be a simple way to look behind you and still have the ability to close off the chamber in case of a leak.
Frank D.