Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] powering a sub for surface travel

Just a random thought while I was putzing in the shop yesterday........
With a little gas generator like the 1800 watt camping ones that Coleman makes ( real quiet too ) and a transformer a guy MIGHT be able to run a sub on the surface with just the electric thrusters.
Two Minnkota 101's running at half speed need about 1650 watts.....and those little generators will run three hours on a gallon of gas.
The little generator could be lashed down on the deck and fired up while cruising on the surface. When you reach your destination, just put the generator inside, close the hatch, dive, and away you go.
( I obviously have WAY too much time on my hands )
Frank D.