[PSUBS-MAILIST] The last dance by David Bartsch

  The last dance by David Bartsch

    There are turning points in submarine history that effect a large numbers of people. One case in point was the shift to nuclear power. Gone was an era of U.S. diesel supremacy. The lessons learned from years of war seemed lost to the search for an unlimited power source.
    We Americans could now project our presence to any corner of the globe with ease but...

    One fact remains and is undisputable...impossible is it to detect a diesel submarine that is submerged while running on its batteries. All a third world country needs to do to become a serious local threat would be to acquire a simple diesel electric submarine and patrol it in its own territorial waters.

    In researching periscope history and future developments I see yet another turning point. The newest periscope technology relies heavily on camera advances such that a periscope thru hull is no longer required or desired. "Dancing with the grey lady" may soon become a thing of the past. I saw Cuba while looking thru such an optical periscope. This terminology referred to the use of a periscope for surface contact observations.
    With the advent of camera technology, the need for optical visual observations will soon become a thing of the past. Cameras can zoom in closer and make use of various filters to enhance ones viewing ability beyond that of regular visual optics.
    Without the need for periscope thru hulls, the requirment is no more to have the control or attack center in the upper area of the sub. This attack center can now be on the middle level where space is more abundant making more room for additional plotting and fire control equipments. Training the viewable scope is now joy stick and computer controlled.
    Although in its infancy as only a few more advanced submarines are so equipped, I see the end of an era approaching...

    I wish only that I could dance with this grey lady just more time...

                                                                                                                                           David Bartsch