RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] in-water testing session completed

Well done David.  Regards, Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of David Bartsch
Sent: Sunday, 11 April 2010 7:22 a.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] in-water testing session completed

To all:

    I have just returned from an in-water testing session of the the two Ray Jefferson hailer based broadband underwater voice communications systems and wish to report our findings.

    The testing session was done on Lake Placid in the Chickasaw State Park some 14 miles West from Henderson. We used two piers separated by 420 feet of fresh water that was slightly shallower than first thought. The depth was about 15' at the deepest point and was much shallower as it approached the two piers. At these piers it was about 5 to 8 feet deep.
    No boat traffic was in the water nor were there any fisherman. No swimmers were in the water and biological acoustics were almost non existent. In short, little was present in the way of ambient acoustical interference.

    We were easily able to talk to and from each unit and were fully understood by both. We spoke nursery rhymes and other unpredictable messages so as to ensure we actually could repeat the messages being sent. These messages were repeated via small hand held talkie talkies.

    It should be noted that we had to lean close to the enclosures in order to better hear the sent massages as at this range, these were a bit faint. Had there been ANY extra distracting noises, the full understanding of the received messages could have been a bit confusing. I would say from this testing session that under these ideal condition, this 420 feet is approaching if not already at the maximum two way communications range of this type of system at least in this shallow depth of water. We also made use of a morse code message using the keyed fog horn feature and this does seem to have farther range but who wants to memorize morse!

    This system seems best suited for short range casual sub to sub or sub to diver communications. If one is planning for deeper dives than this range tested today, a primary communications system should also be deployed with this system used as an alternate backup. There was no need for us to test to the farther 1300 foot target range as I am sure we would not have pulled this of under these conditions.

    The depths of 35 feet seems to be an ideal test depth for salt water use as this depth is expected at this coming convention.

    A special thanks is extended to both my sons Cameron and Paul as well as Kyle and Alec for the use of these systems during today's testing session. These two system will now be shipped to these new owners on Monday.

    Good luck to all of you and I hope to see you God willing at the convention in July.

                                                                                                                                                      David Bartsch

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5011 (20100408) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5016 (20100410) __________