Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ASME - say what??

Jon - assuming you have PVHO-1-2002, look at figure 2-2.20 (c), on page 36. This gives you basic dimensional constraints on the seat cavity geometry. I am assuming that you have already designed the window itself (i.e. required diameter and thickness), as this will dictate the cavity geometry. D_o is the outer diameter of your acrylic window. D_s is set by section 2-2.12.9, D_f is constrained by the relation in the figure (1.250 <= D_o/D_f). You will note in that figure that the dimension "K" in that figure is selected on the basis of structural analysis - this must be so, as there is no way for the standard to anticipate the shell loads that must be accommodated by the viewport seat in the absence of the shell material in the hole (since the acrylic viewport is specifically prohibited from bearing loads in this manner).

The necessary analysis is not that difficult. Perhaps the simplest one to start with is the direct shear, as the shear area will be simply the circumference of the viewport (pi multiplied by D_o in the figure) multiplied by the minimum thickness K. Calculate the total load (pressure x area of the viewport) and then divide by the shear area above to arrive at the shear stress, and then adjust K to get your desired safety factor.

Next, examine the bending stress. Simplify the problem by analyzing it as a beam in 2D, just as it is presented (in section view) in the figure. To put that another way, imagine cutting the ring radially at one location, and then straightening it so you end up with a bar with a ledge on it - i.e. nothing more than a cantilevered rectangular beam, with width (conservatively assuming the smallest diameter) b = pi * D_f, height K, and section modulus Z = (b*K^2)/6. Conservatively assuming that the entire load will occur at the inner diameter of the cavity (D_f), the maximum bending stress at the corner will be the load W (pressure * window area), multiplied by the length of the beam l ((D_s - D_f)/2), divided by the section modulus. Obviously, the fact that it is not a beam but a circular object will change the assumed geometry, and the fact that the load is distributed and not a point load will change the actual stress, but since all of the assumptions made above are in the direction of increased conservatism, that gives the worst-case scenario. Again, check this stress against the material maximum, and if not sufficient, adjust K to obtain your desired safety factor.

Torsional stress doesn't really need to be considered in this case, since there is no torsional loading. The only other stresses experienced by the viewport cavity are those imposed upon it from the shell. If you have not already included reinforcement in the adjacent shell, then the viewport cavity insert could be considered as the necessary reinforcement as long as it meets the requirement for sufficient material replaced. I would suggest incorporating this seat into the shell in a manner which avoids abrupt geometry changes (i.e. taper the outer diameter of the seat into the shell through some combination of machining and/or weld deposition), just as with any transition between plates of differing thickness.

-Sean

Jon Wallace wrote:

I've just purchased ($179 US) and downloaded the ASME PVHO-1 standard.

ASME uses the following wording to market their PVHO-1 standard..."This Standard provides requirements for the design, fabrication, inspection, testing, marking, and stamping of pressure vessels for human occupancy, having an internal or external pressure differential exceeding 2 psi."

As far as I can tell so far, except for some narrow conditions, PVHO-1 points you to BPVC Section VIII for hull and penetration design which is what...about $675?? I'm trying to figure out the dimensions for the seat (not the walls) of a flat disc viewport thru-hull. Am I missing something in PVHO-1?

Jon