Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] alternative dome forming

Hi Allen. That's pretty interesting. Is there an expected savings in total cost ? I'm trying to imagine how it would work using flat sheets/rings built-up and then machined to shape and polished. Seems like the long-way-round to get a dome but I know next to nothing about plexi domes.
One thing.......If your fabricator has an oven large enough to anneal the part, why can't he use the oven to "slump" the dome from a single slab ? Making a mold is pretty easy. Even if the mold surface wasn't perfectly smooth, it would seem easier to make the dome from a single slab and then do the polishing needed as the surface would still be almost perfect. I've seen pictures where plastic fabricators were using simple plywood molds to make domes. Again, I don't know what's involved and I'm sure you've researched this. Just curious.
Frank D.