Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] electrical question

No problem. The 12 volt motors will produce less thrust at maximum draw than the larger units, but otherwise it's not a problem. The issue is efficiency. Your wiring must be larger for equivelant draws at lower voltages. Heat losses, resistance in the system and overworked little motors will probably cause issues down the line. Study up on DC electrics to see how all that works, and how it improves things to go up in voltage.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Waters <muddywatersfarm@hotmail.com>
To: psubs <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thu, Feb 25, 2010 11:51 am
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] electrical question

Is there a problem with useing 12V motors? I guess I am confuesd at all the added effort to wire it up to be 24V or 36V.
Thanks,
Scott Waters

To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:44:40 -0500
From: vbra676539@aol.com

24 volt? Lights, control and accessories are 12 volt. Propulsion is 36 volt. Some of the old boats used 24 volt for propulsion but when Captain George started building his own thrusters, he went to 36 volt.
Vance