Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] batteries

Rick, make sure that you are taking total cost of ownership into account, and not just the purchase price. Different batteries can have significantly different expected lifetimes, for example. Your tray / housing design might change, affecting costs, and there may be disposal levies on your expired batteries. SLA may still be the best option, but just be sure to consider all factors.

-Sean

landnseawelding wrote:
Thanks to all for the responses on my battery questions. I was leaning towards the AGM battery due to the non leak factor and some of you had mentioned that they were a bit more. I was thinking maybe 30%-40%. After checking with a company that sells all types, here are the results: Group 24- regular battery-85 amp, $66.---- Group 27 gel battery 86 amps $207------ Group 27 AGM battery 90 amps $235. That's 400% more than the regular wet acid car battery. Unfortunately due to budget and keeping a sound marriage, I will probably have to go the cheaper route and have them in trays incase of spillage. If someone knows of a more affordable AGM battery in the 85 to 90 amp range (12 volt) I would love to hear from them. I also have some data from McMaster-Carr for those who are in need of schedule 80 ss pipe fittings: 1/2"X3" sked 80 316 L nipple $12.76 each Part #4475K44-----1/2"X3" sked 80 316 L coupling $6.80 each Part #4452K344. Rick P.