From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of
landnseawelding
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:14 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Threw hull calc's

I have a piece of stainless steel bar stock that is 31/4" Diameter. I
have to drill a hole in the center of it that is roughly 13/16" to
accept a 3/4"
Diameter threaded penetrator with a threaded length of 3/4" long. My
hull thickness is 1/4" (K-350). I am under the understanding that you
need to replace the amount of metal you remove from the hull with equal
or grater. I would like to be able to slice this SS bar stock to 1/2"
thick and weld it into the hull so that would leave me with 1/4" on the
inside to put a nut and washer on. My concern is that it may need to be
thicker to calculate out. I can have the company extend the threads at
an added cost but would rather not if possible. Can someone tell me if I
weld a piece of 3 1/4" dia bar with a 13/16" hole in the middle of it
how thick it should be?

Thanks

Rick P