Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] White Christmas 2009

"Jens Laland" <laland@artematrix.org> schrieb:
> Carsten
>
> Your boat looks really fantastic! I wish it would be possible to come down
>  and take a much closer look?

Yes why not. At the moment we are thick about to make the european convention in october 2010 at Kiel, Germany.
Hopefully with Kraka, Uc3, Malen, Euronaut, Sgt.Peppers, Nemo, Nemo II and Nemo III and KSS-Eurosub..

> In the meantime, there is something I have wanted to ask you about a long
> time:
>
> ** www.euronaut.org/content/gfx/skeleton/IMG_4446.jpg
>
> All the following questions are related to the bolted flange visible
> within the pressure hull (split) in the above picture.
>
> 1.  what size and type of bolts are you using?

60 pics of  M20 x 80 mm Bolts quality 8.8 (880 N/mm2. Maybe better quality 10.9 near the deck and keel.

> 2.  what type of gasket material are you using?

A O-ring of 6 mm in a trench in the flange of the aft section.

> 2b. is it a sort of full face gasket

No. Just the o-ring in the flange, and some liquid acryl rubber from outside to protect corrosion.
In general it should be a metal to metal flange for longitudinal force reasons.

> 3   is the mating surfaces machined in any way?

Yes

> 3b. if so, is machining done after final welding in place?

The flanges are weld on a 200 mm part which was cut away from the main the cylinders. Than machined.
Than the 200mm long cylinder was weld back to the main cylinders. Did this on both sides.
Milling machine was installed on a wall and has some meters diamter..

> 3c. and if so, how on earth did you manage to do that?

A drawing, two telephone calls and three bucks money.

picture at Moki :

http://www.prismnet.com/~moki/20030115.120916/113-1333a.JPG

If somebody has contact to John F. (owner of Moki) please send me his actual email adress. Thanks.

dito vbr Carsten