Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - Standard Thru-Hull Electrical Connector

Al, do you mean to suggest tying the shield to the safety / chassis ground, or to the electrical supply common? ABS etc. require that the entire DC system be ungrounded - that is, that the battery negative / supply common is not to be connected to the hull or equipment chassis. For maximum RF rejection in a shielded cable, that shield must be continuous through the shell of a metal connector. Tying the shield to the DC common would necessitate ensuring that all penetrators / connectors remain electrically isolated from the hull, lest they connect the DC common to the hull in violation of the Rules. Would it not be better practice to connect all cable shields, connector shells and equipment chassis together to form a contiguous RF shield while retaining isolation from the DC common (or, if the twisted pairs are individually shielded, tying the individual pair shields to DC common through a pin in the connector, but keeping the overall cable shield isolated and connected to the connector shell)?

I'm not really an electrical guy - I'm genuinely curious.

Sean

Al Secor wrote:

Alec,

A couple of comments….

# 5. Although Piezoelectric ceramic transducers do have polarity, since we are feeding them with an AC signal then this is not an issue. For noise considerations we may want to consider a shielded twisted pair with the shield grounded to the sub’s electrical ground.