Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Proposed PSUBS standard bulkhead connector

Good work Alec.

Rather than doing this as a one time thing, I'd like to put out an RFC and follow a process that has a bit more bite than an email agreement. If the unit is good enough for a bulk order now, it seems like its good enough to become a standard that we adopt for later as well.

Feel free to keep discussion going, but expect a formal RFC shortly built around Alec's proposal.

It looks like Subconn is about 2.5 hours from me so I might be able to visit them if necessary, or even just to build a reporte with them (maybe even drag Lea down there with me).

Jon

Smyth, Alec wrote:

Hello friends,

A little time ago I volunteered to identify a bulkhead connector we could standardize on. There would be clear practical and safety advantages to this. For example, at the next PSUBS convention some of us will have comms gear and if we all have a standard connector on our boats, we can pass the comms gear around. It also should facilitate the adoption of devices developed by David Bartsch or other PSUBS members. I've evaluated products from Seacon, Subconn, and Impulse and now have a specific connector to propose. Products from the three vendors were of roughly equivalent specs, and in all cases amply exceed the needs of your typical PSUB.

The one I'd like to propose is from Subconn, because they came through with a 20% discount for PSUBS. Standard off-the-shelf comms such as OTS or Divelink require only 2 conductors for their transducers. I am proposing we adopt a 4 contact connector so we could also plug in David Bartsch's combined comms and hydrophone. Or one could combine a comms transducer with a depth sounder (2 conductors each). These penetrators are rated for 10 amps per conductor, 600V, and 20,000 psi. They are "wet mateable", so gear can be switched between boats without needing to pull the boats from the water. Here is the spec sheet:

_http://www.subconn.com/filer/1031/Standard_Circular_4_Contacts.1673263891164403.pdf_

Specifically, the part numbers I am suggesting are:

BH4F, which screws into the hull and has 4 female contacts outside, ordinary leads on the inside. ($76.90)
IL4M, which is the outboard cable and male plug. ($42.30)
DLSA-F and DLSA-M, a plastic locking sleeve that connects the two parts together. This is optional and only really necessary if there is movement in the cable. ($6.30)

DC4M, a blank plug that protects the penetrator if you dive without anything connected to it. Also optional. ($18.30)

The above are list prices. If we order a quantity of 1-10, we get 20% off. If we order more than 10, it'll be 25% off.

Please tell me whether you agree with this selection, and if so whether you are on board for placing an order. Let me know the number of connector sets you would purchase (in my case it's 2). Adding up the responses we'll know our discount, and I propose each of us then place his order separately since shipping has to be individual in any case.

Dan Lance has volunteered the use of his OTS comms gear for the next convention, and has already sent me its cables. I will go ahead and connect his outboard (transducer) cable to an IL4M. For the inboard cable, I have to identify something inexpensive thats widely available (think Radio Shack) to connect the penetrator leads with his cable. Any suggestions for the inboard connector?

Thanks,

Alec