From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jon Wallace
Sent: Thursday, 17 December 2009 4:33 p.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 2009 Award Announcement

December 16, 2009

PSUBS.ORG is pleased to announce the recipients of commemorative and
recognition awards for 2009.  All candidates are nominated by their
peers from within the PSUBS community reflecting admiration of
excellence and contributions that the candidates have demonstrated to
achieve a nomination for an award.

KITTREDGE AWARD - Emile van Essen (Eurosub)
The Kittredge Award is named for Capt. George Kittredge and is presented
for excellence in overall design and/or construction of a small
submarine.  Emile designed and built a small 1ATM submersible named
"Eurosub" which has been described by PSUBS members as "beautiful",
"functional", and "raising the bar for all potential sub builders".

BUSBY AWARD - Vance Bradley
The Busby Award is named for R. Frank Busby and is presented for
excellence in technical writing or documentation regarding the design,
construction, or use of small submarines.  Vance was recognized by his
peers in the submersible community for providing clear, first hand
information about technical and operational topics on the PSUBS mailing
list and as a person who has been described as "one I look up to for
experience".  He has spent thousands of hours underwater over a decade
of offshore work, qualified as pilot for nine different manned
submersible vehicles, and was one of the most senior of Intersub's
pilots during the fevered construction days in the North Sea.

LINK AWARD - Emile van Essen
The Link Award is named for Edwin A. Link and is presented for
excellence contributing to oceanographic research, exploration, or
discovery using a personal submersible, or the design/construction of an
innovative submersible component.  Emile receives this award for his
participation with historical and archaeological survey work using his
submersible "Eurosub" on the sunken vessel "Giuseppe Garibaldi" (at 122
meters) for documentation by Croatian historians and archaeologists.

BEACH AWARD - Dean Ackman
The Beach Award is named for Edward L. Beach and is presented for
non-technical writing or documentation that promotes personal
submersibles.  Dean receives this award for excellence in promotion of
both personal submersibles and PSUBS.ORG.  After providing an interview
with a local paper regarding his newly built submersible, Dean was
contacted by the USCG who had heard about PSUBS but never seen a small
home-built submarine.  Dean arranged to meet with Coast Guard personnel
to let them inspect his submarine and discuss the details of his
project, as well as the mission of PSUBS.ORG.  Dean received a Coast
Guard "thumbs up" for his submersible which reflects well upon our
organization and our desire to build good-will with local and federal
authorities.

SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARDS
These Awards are presented to individuals who uniquely contribute to
PSUBS.ORG or promote personal submersibles in a manner that does not fit
within the more narrow scope of our Commemorative Awards.

Kyle Edlund - Kyle receives special recognition for the effort he has
put into testing an acoustics anti-collision unit built by David
Bartsch.  Kyle has performed multiple dives with the unit in his K-250
submersible and returned detailed reports, including video, regarding
the performance and user interface.  These reports have been very useful
to members who have an interest in this particular anti-collision unit.

Jay Jeffries - Jay receives special recognition for his contributions
focusing on safety and operational procedures, and his expertise in
marine architecture.  As we progress and grow as a group, safety has
always been a major focus and will continue to be an integral part of
that growth and how we and our sport are perceived by the general
public, associated industry, and regulatory agencies.

Jens Laland - Jens receives special recognition for his important
contributions which have provided a vast assortment of photographs,
technical documents, and pointers to authoritative references.  Jens is
described as " having a great wealth of knowledge" and "a willingness to
openly share that which he has collected with those that simply inquire."

Congratulations to all the 2009 winners!

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53
Weare, NH  03281