Van: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] Namens ShellyDalg@aol.com
Verzonden: dinsdag 15 december 2009 19:12
Aan: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Onderwerp: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]Motors

Hi Vance. That looked like a good site. I have a question for anyone......

You all know I'm using the Minnkota 101s for my boat, and I am using MOSTLY stainless for the motor mounts, rudders, swivels etc.

I'm worried about the actual "clamp" that holds the motor body. I used regular 4 inch steel pipe at about 1/4 inch thick. I have a thin rubber sheet wrapped around the motor body and the steel pipe "clamp" holds the motor body snuggly. There's a strap that prevents the motor from slipping out of the clamp when the motor is put in reverse.

My question is......will the magnetic attraction of the steel adversely affect the motor ?

The permanent magnets in the motor grab the clamps and I'm worried that the attraction could draw power away from the armature or damage the magnets.

The simple "fix" is to cut off the steel clamps and replace them with stainless pipe of the same diameter.

I looked around a bit for stainless pipe of that size but at the time couldn't find any scrap stainless available, so went with the stuff I had laying around. I only need 4 pieces at 4 inches long, and could use the 12 gage sheet I have and roll it into new clamps. I planned on replacing those parts later anyway for corrosion resistance but if it's going to screw up the motors I'll do it before I mount them permanently.

Anybody know if exterior magnetic attraction affects the motor ?

Frank D.