Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-350

You might also talk to the folks at www.thingap.com who build a brushless 48 volt motor that is sealed and might be interesting for our use. Keep us up to date on that one if you talk to them.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: vbra676539@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Tue, Dec 15, 2009 8:46 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-350

Contact Advanced Motors & Drives @ www.ADCMotors.com. They build the PM motors from .5 hp up. A sidenote is that Kittredge had his motors built on extended shafts which could then be disassembled and turned down into prop shafts on the long end. I understand that they will no longer do this at Advanced. Capt. K's blueprints have an add-on for the stub shaft, now. You'll have to be really careful with those as precise alignment is the key to that shaft seal. One other side note. The big 3 hp aft motor can is REALLY heavy. Consider building it in aluminum. In fact, consider building them all in aluminum. You'll be really happy you did. Better yet, don't build the big one at all. Standardize your design for whatever hp you plan on then run them on a simple on-off, reversing circuit, which will give you from 1 to 3 speeds forward and provide plenty of power in the water. Like Frank, I'm lining up Minn-Kotas for my K-350 because they are cheap. They do not, however, have the big bearings and brushes and heavy shaft that the Applied units have.
Vance