From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jens Laland
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:03 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Acrylic View Ports vs. long-wave UV-Light

During talks between David Bartsch and myself, we have been addressing the
use of long-wave ultraviolet light for illumination of various instruments
and/or instrumentation panels that has previously been marked by use of
phosphorescent pigments. This to maintain proper night vision, etc.

ILLUMINATION ALTERNATIVE #1:

This alternative represents the use of one or two strong, central
source(s) of UV-light placed above (and slightly behind) the pilot, but in
such a manner that sufficient light still reach the entire area of interest
on the control panel in front.

ILLUMINATION ALTERNATIVE #2:

This alternative represents a method where each part of a control panel has
been furnished with it's own local, shaded "eyebrow" type of UV-lamp.

QUESTION REGARDING ALTERNATIVE #1:

Has an acrylic (or similar type of) viewport being given a proper UV
protection ( coating ? ) that would also make it resistant against UV light
coming from the inside?

QUESTION REGARDING ALTERNATIVE #2:

Would it be correct to assume that if we restricted all use of ultraviolet
light to the deployment of eyebrow lamps placed along the upper brim of each
instrument (in the sub), then this practice would not be in any conflict
with what would be best for the physical health of any viewport?

Best regards,
Jens laland

below or send a blank email message to:

Removal of your email address from this mailing list occurs by an automated
process and should be complete within five minutes of our server receiving
your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53
Weare, NH  03281