Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Abs calculator

You can (and should) re-roll hull cyliders after welding, especially with thin material. 1/8" out of round is about all any engineer I ever met would tolerate for the diameters we deal with. My K-sub has a nasty draw at the weld seam, which tells me it was rolled once and stuck together as is. That would not be my first choice. The design is plenty strong enough to put up with that kind of thing at the shallower end of the spectrum, but it gets to be a real problem stress wise as you go deeper. The ring stiffeners can be rolled and machined to fit whatever you end up with. It's more expensive, but in the end you get a stronger product.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Smyth, Alec <Alec.Smyth@compuware.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 9:08 am
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Abs calculator

The main thing to understand in the relationship between web and flange
dimensions is that the effectiveness of the stiffener improves with it's
moment of inertia around the point of contact with the hull. Consider an
over-simplified example of a stiffener made of nothing but a bent
rectangular bar. You could build it two ways; bending the rectangular
the "easy way" so it's long side is in contact with the cylinder, or the
"hard way" so it's short ends are the ones in contact. In both cases the
mass of your stiffener would be the same, but clearly the deeper ring
formed the "hard way" is going to be very much stronger. This is why we
use T stiffeners, to put as much mass as possible away from the hull,
thus increasing the moment of inertia. Of course everything has limits,
so you can't make a web that's paper thin and expect it to support a
massive flange. Take an iterative approach varying the geometry until
you find the various failure modes occur at roughly similar pressures.

If you choose to use undersized stiffeners you will just have to stay
within the limits of the weakest failure mode - the strength of a chain
being determined by it's weakest link. So long as you have calculated
the strength of that link and stay within it, you should be OK -- with a
caveat. Please bear in mind the calculations are extraordinarily
sensitive to out-of-roundness. When you fabricate your hull, you will
find the stiffeners force the hull into a proper circle. I would advise
the stiffeners at a minimum be strong enough to deform the hull when
inserted, and not the other way around, or you could get an
out-of-roundness problem. Cylinders alone, at least in my experience,
don't come from the supplier in anything like acceptable roundness.

One of your questions I don't have an answer for, and that's why the
depth rating actually decreases when you overdo the stiffeners. I've
wondered about that one many times, and if anyone has an answer I'd love
to hear it!

Thanks,

Alec

addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and
then destroy it.