Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ABS calculator

abyssalobsession@gmail.com wrote:
Why does having stiffeners too beefy make their
max pressure go down?  And last but most important if I choose to use
smaller stiffeners than what is most efficient for the hull
thickness, are their any significant risks as long as I am operating
within the maximums.  I know these would probably require a degree in
engineering, but I am still a few semesters away from this kind of
stuff though. I appreciate any insights.

The purpose of stiffeners is not to resist the external load themselves, but to stabilize the circular cross-section of the hull. Under external pressure, any distortion of the cross-section shape results in forces that tend to increase the distortion. In other words, a cylinder under external pressure is unstable, and if not stiffened will fail long before the material that it is made of reaches its compressive stress limit.

The ideal stiffener, then, would prevent any change in the hull cross-section's shape while allowing the diameter to decrease as the hull plating takes on a compressive strain to resist the external pressure. Of course, a real stiffener is going to resist changes both in cross-section shape and in cross-section diameter, and the latter property is going to increase shear and bending stresses locally at the junction of the stiffener and the hull shell plating. This can produce the result you see in the calculator, namely a net reduction in strength. Basically, there has to be an optimum relationship between the thickness and elastic modulus of the plating and the gauge and spacing of the ribs. Presumably, there are empirical or semi-empirical relations built into that calculator that take this into account.

Best,
Marc de Piolenc