To: "Personal Submersibles" <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:00 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Reserve buoyancy

I've been silently following the tender/reserve buoyancy discussion. As my primary interest is in salvage rather than sightseeing, I have assumed from the beginning that any sub that I build or am involved in building will follow safety criteria more like those of cruising Naval submarines than research subs. But now, reading the report of the salvage of the Alvin by the US Navy, I see that the allowances for research subs are inadequate.

Aluminaut was selected for the salvage op because she was the most autonomous and robust of the submersibles available. After her first dive, when she spent several hours trying to insert the lifting toggle in Alvin's hatch, she surfaced with her batteries exhausted. It proved to be impossible to recharge her at sea, because the main hatch had to be kept open to allow hydrogen to escape, and when it was left open she shipped water! She had to be towed to sheltered water for repairs and a recharge. This is all the more remarkable because Aluminaut is the most seamanlike of all the research submersibles that I've actually seen.

Battery vented into the crew space? No means of airing the boat without leaving the hatch open? I can understand not providing a separate snorkel or air-induction trunk - this is a deep diver, and every pressure-hull penetration is a potential failure point - but in that case the saddle tanks should have been made larger and some means of fitting a funnel over the main hatch to prevent water ingress should have been provided. And as for venting the battery into the crew compartment, ANY arrangement is preferable to one that exposes the crew to hydrogen, or worse - chlorine!

http://www.archive.org/details/recoveryofdeepre00unit

I assume that reluctance to add saddle tank volume in a personal sub is due to the need to trailer it home. If it exceeds maximum highway specs it must obtain a special movement permit every time it hits the road.

Best,
Marc

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG