Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] emergency lift bags

6600 pounds? Yikes! That's a lot to carry around. I agree with Carsten about having something handy, but not necessarily on the boat. We partly flooded the port pod on the old PC-9 once, managed to get to the surface without dropping the weight, and had inflatable buoys on the ship large enough to hold the sub up on an even keel once we got there. Kittredge designed the drop weights so that they would compensate for a flooded K-pod. However, once you get to the surface, the sub will float funny, to say the least. Something inflatable would be nice to drag her upright and let the crew get off without dipping the conning tower. That big dollop of water in your lap would ruin the whole day, and if you've flooded a pod, the whole day is ALREADY ruined.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: MerlinSub@t-online.de
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 5:18 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] emergency lift bags

To open the hatch at -1 ft seems a better solution = drop weight.

20 ft = 6 meter depth - hatch of 2ft diameter has a area of 0,283 m2
so at 20 ft the pressure on the hatch wil be stil 1,7 ts.
Means in even a full dry boat with just destroyd mbt you have to
flood it and destroy all the interior by saltwater..

"If you have air a to blow an lift bag - means you have still air to blow the
mbt"

Lift bag is a good thing to have - on shore in store at the car close to the
diving spot.

vbr Carsten