From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, 1 December 2009 12:37 p.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Tender vehicle

Hi Dean and Hugh. The pontoon boat I was contemplating at about 16' long would be for fair weather and close to shore sub operations. The sub would merely "tie up" to it.

Your concept of a large pontoon boat sounds more like a floating "dock" and is a great idea. The tender for the Lake Diver was big enough to act like a barge and bring the sub "up on deck" which is also a good idea.

I'm not sure how large a boat should be to carry a sub in the open ocean but I'm guessing at least 80 feet.

The size is really dependant on how heavy the sub is, and where to locate it on deck so it balances with the boat.

One problem with bringing a small sub up into the middle of a pontoon boat like you explained would be securing it so the two would travel in tandem when swells, waves, or wakes start "rockin' the boat". The sub could damage the pontoons if it was rockin' around between them.

Lake Superior gets pretty rough even on nice days.

 I like the concept of floating pontoons next to the sub. It will take a pretty massive frame to hold it together with an opening in the back big enough to motor the sub in there. Maybe you could have a rigid frame and bring the sub "up" into the middle. Or have a removable frame member at the back that would slide in or drop down and re-connect the pontoons in the back to re-establish a rigid frame.

Hugh, your sub at 6 tons will take a pretty big boat to haul up the sub. There are some "floating docks" available and they can get huge. Maybe buying a used barge and outfitting it for sub operations would be possible. There was a few for sale in San Fran Bay and some were used for house boats. The local harbor in Santa Cruz has one they use in channel dredging and it carries a lot of weight.

Frank D.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4650 (20091130) __________

http://www.eset.com