Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] thru-hull types

In a message dated 10/30/2009 2:55:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, ShellyDalg@aol.com writes:
Right next to the side motors. These thru-hulls carry the power to the motor and the electric actuator driving the dive planes.
Another note. The way my battery banks are configured, and the location of the motors and actuators, the wire lengths are VERY short.
The battery bank locations are designed to spread the weight evenly around the lower perimeter of the hull.
   The power panels are split up, having one distribution panel for each battery bank. 3 batteries each bank, 4 banks total, plus two batteries for controls.
    The motor circuits therefore are completely separate and the wires from the batteries to the speed dials to the motors are real short. Now, if a battery bank gets low, I can switch another bank onto that circuit ( through a "tie-in" panel ) but I want to be able to completely isolate any given circuit from the others in case of a short or malfunction. Each battery bank of three batteries will be encased in a stainless box. The lids will have gaskets and latches to keep water out and gas in. Not a lot of empty space in each box.
The lids will be opened for nightly charging, with a fan to evacuate any gas build-up out the open hatch.
The boxes themselves have very little extra room inside so any gas that might escape the batteries during use will be contained inside and the volume will be very little. The boxes will be solid 12 gage welded stainless to minimize any chance of an explosion.
I was mainly concerned with keeping the wire runs short to reduce voltage drop, and again to isolate each circuit/battery bank for a type of redundancy.
The two batteries used for controls are wired in parallel for 12 volts. The actuators driving the rudders and dive planes will run off these. They won't be in use that often, being controlled with simple "rocker" switches.
This will leave me plenty of power for other 12 volt electrical uses like radio, lights, and of course my Tequila blender.
Frank D.