Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] retractable buoy

Frank,

I don't think testing David's comm system in a pool is a valid test. I've discussed this with him before and even suggested we send some units to Vance or Jay so they can be tested in deep water. David's comm set is based upon an acoustic element, not a carrier element. As such, it is going to be affected much more by water conditions and underwater topography than a UQC comm set such as Cliff and Alec have been talking about.

My work with David and acoustic pingers in the Spring of 2008 gave a preview of what to expect. In fresh water averaging 20 feet, I could easily discern the pinger over 1,000 feet away. In fresh water averaging 50 feet, the range was cut to about 600-700 feet. I brought the pinger and hydrophone to Maine for the 2008 convention and we set it up from the dock in Castine. The water depth was around 10-12 feet at the dock and the lengthwise distance between the pinger and hydrophone was about 75 feet. Those with me that day (JimK, AndyG, Lea) will recall that the pinger was barely audible. That's a huge difference in performance and from my point of view rendered the device non-usable. Was it the salt-water? Was it the topography and/or material of the seascape? One thing for sure, it was not boat traffic because there was little traffic there at the time. Comparatively, Andy had brought a couple of ultrasonic pingers from Desert Star and those worked tremendously well under the same conditions and exact same placement.

So there is much testing that needs to be done with 20-20k acoustic communications in general. David's units really need to be field tested in both fresh and salt water, under numerous conditions, depths, and ranges (as applicable to psubbers), and most importantly the results recorded accurately so they can be inspected by others who can then decide if the units will work for the type of diving conditions they operate in. It would be best if the units were tested by someone who has experience with professional grade equipment so that the unit could be rated (this would be subjective for sure) for clarity of spoken word as well. I should probably dig out my pinger and hydrophone and head over to Hampton Beach sometime to do some more salt-water testing from the jetty just in case Castine was an anomaly. The only problem is that its not deep water.

Many of us have heard the quality provided by the Nuyco units, which to my ears were crystal clear and easily on par with being on a land-line. If we can get Alec to Florida next July we'll have another opportunity to hear what some other units sound like.

Jon

ShellyDalg@aol.com wrote:

This could be something David can work on. What kind and how long would work. Could this be tested in shallow water like a swimming pool ? If a small enough wire could be used, a small reel and a plug-in jack floating on the surface could be useful.
Frank D.