RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Git Kraken

Frank,

I am guessing that the barge will be located ½ to 1 miles off the beach just to the North of the Inlet.  Florida ramps are notoriously shallow and it makes launching a boat with any draught difficult.

From a naval architecture standpoint, I question whether you will be able to make 20 kts. while under tow.  Your sub is a displacement hull, (i.e. it is not designed for planing) and according to some basic rules your maximum speed will be 1.34*√DWL, so in your case 1.34*√17 = 5.52 kts. on the surface  Doesn’t matter how much more horsepower that you through at this, you will not get much faster unfortunately…you will just be fighting a big bow wave.

Battery chargers still need to be worked out and we have a dive shop real close by that we are going to try to get diver support from.

The real question is who is buying the rum? J

R/Jay

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:47 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Git Kraken

Hi Vance. I plan on launching from a trailer but of course will have crane lifting points too.

Lots of places for ties and tag lines. I gotta be able to tie it down on the trailer.

One of my design criteria has been towability. I should be able to tow the boat at 20 knots or better, surfaced.

How far offshore is the barge/dive spot going to be ?

If it's not much more than a mile, maybe I can just drive out there from shore.

Will we have power available to plug in battery chargers ? How close is scuba tank filling. Who's buyin' the beer ?.....So many questions !!!!! Frank D.