Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] elliptical heads

In a message dated 10/23/2009 5:09:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, vbra676539@aol.com writes:
Never mind, I just went back through the projects page and got most of the questions answered. May I assume that the cylindrical extension was used due to the fact that you COULDN'T find a supplier for deeper heads?

Next question: George always told me I could weld anywhere through the head except in the knuckle. You, on the other hand, put that bloody great window right through that baby. How does that look on the calculation sheets for additional stress?
Hi Vance.
Sorry for the late answers. I've been out on a couple of bike runs for the last few days.
The outfit "Fort Worth F&D heads" could have made a 3 inch straight leg (max) on my heads but I didn't think to ask at the time, so I added a 6 inch ring to give me more height.
George is right to warn against cutting at the knuckle, on a K boat design. The K boat has no ribbing on the heads. My hull is ALL heads so I'm adding beefy ribbing around the window area.
As for the calcs, I had an old retired NASA engineer run them for me. He didn't include any window openings so it's just the bare hull that I have numbers for. I couldn't get the Hull calculator to work so I gave it to him. He couldn't get it to work either so I'm not sure how he came up with the numbers but he's way smarter than I am. He's going to help me with the ribbing design too, so I can get a buckle depth around 1500 feet.
Frank D.