Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:00 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fla. Visibility [was: Continuing saga of homebrewed Chinese sub]

Rick,

At great effort was expended in trying to locate a suitable diving site at one of the many crystal clear fresh water sink holes found throughout Florida.  Unfortunately, while there are many sinks suitable for PSUB ops, none had launching facilities within a reasonable distance to the dive site.

As Joe stated, offshore visibility is weather dependent and the turning basin problematic.  Due to hurricanes there are no real shallow wrecks found along Florida?s east coast and those on the west coast are generally a good ways off shore.

From your list:

Great vis ? hopefully

Safe launching facilities ? assured

No current ? minimal if present (a small current can be a good thing to clear stirred up bottoms)

Hotel nearby ? check

Easy transportation ? check

Good food ? FANTASTIC food near the hotel

No hurricanes ? keep your fingers crossed, this year has been unusual.

R/Jay