Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster mounts

In a message dated 10/20/2009 11:53:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, empiricus@telus.net writes:
How smooth are the actuators?  Do they tend to be jerky or linear with the input?  And what about the control end?  I know only basic electronics and nothing about motor controls.

Hi Rick. First off, let me say that I'm a big fan of ambient subs provided the builder/operator understands their limitations. As I've said before, a recreational sub that only goes 50 feet deep will be able to see just as much as a sub at 150 feet.
A thorough understanding of dive/depth duration and limits is required and some means of assuring the sub can never exceed those limits is essential.
The basic systems in an ambient versus a 1 atm. are quite similar. Depending on what the builder wants to accomplish in his sub, the design will reflect those goals.
My own sub design was developed with specific goals in mind and although it has limitations my hope is it can exceed the depths that I expect to dive to with a large safety factor.
Obviously cost is an issue as well. I'd love to add a 48 inch dome window but it's just out of my cost parameters.
On the actuators.....They are very smooth. The control system is as simple as it can get. Again, I need to keep this boat as simple as possible so maintenance and repair is both quick and inexpensive.
I'm using electric linear actuators to control dive plane angle, rudder position,( exterior ) and the sliding weight mechanism. ( inside the sub.)
Think of these actuators as the type that raise a convertible top on a '59 Cadillac.
The controls are very basic. A 12 volt "momentary" rocker switch controls the actuator. Push the switch up and the dive plane goes up. Let go of the button and the dive plane stops and stays there. Push the button down and the dive plane goes down, and stays there.
Very simple wiring......wires go from the main electrical distribution panel to the switch to the thru-hull to the actuator. That's it.
If the switch blows out, simply un plug it and plug in a new one. They cost about $5 each. Naturally there are fuses and circuit breakers throughout the system.
The actuators have a built-in limiter so when you reach the end of the "throw" it stops.
We are using oil compensation to protect our Minnkotas. I'll be using the same method for the actuators. Oil filled with a bladder to maintain ambient pressure within the actuator. The actuators aren't made to be submerged at all, so I'm putting them in a thick fiberglass housing and a rubber bellows is attached to the housing and the extending shaft. The displacement doesn't really change much as the rod extends, the oil just moves within the "envelope" and the oil filled bladder will make up any minor change in volume.
The same thru-hull that holds the motor wiring also holds the actuator wiring. Basically just 4 brass threaded rods sealed in epoxy with spade connectors on each end. If for some reason the thru-hull were to start leaking, I can pull the wires out and close the ball valve. The epoxy "plug" is larger than the actual hole passing through the sub's hull so it can't "blow through" creating a massive leak. My thru-hulls are 1 inch diameter X 4 inch long nipples and the epoxy plug is located in a 1-1/4 inch X 1 inch reducer coupling threaded to the outside of the welded-in nipple. The 1 inch ball valve is threaded directly onto the inside of the nipple section and the 4 wires pass through the valve going to the switch.
The biggest drawback to this system is the speed of operation. The actuator speed is determined by the gear ratio of the internal actuator. The quickest I've found is 2 inches of linear travel per second at 150 pounds of force. These are made by "Firgelli" for automotive use like raising a convertible top or truck bed lid.
The housing is machined from aluminum and the rod is stainless. Cost is just over $100 each.
There are MANY types available with options for wet environments ( splash )  and several different sensing options with feedback for position etc. There are even some double acting ones so once you reach the end of the first stroke, you activate another switch and a second rod extends.
I'm going with the basic ones for reliability.
My expertise is welding and metal working. I've got three drawers of hammers! When it comes to controls----I gotta keep it simple.
My designs are based on off-the-shelf parts that can be replaced in minutes and usually purchased almost anywhere. That way if I'm down in Mexico diving the Sea of Cortez or out past the Florida Keys I can get replacement parts.
The actuators have basic swivel mounts so replacing one is simply peeling back the Vulchem coating, disconnect the hose fittings, pull out the wires, and pull the two swivel pins. Mount a new one, plug in the wires, replace the hose and Vulchem coating......and GO! ( gotta wait for the Vulchem to set up.)
I always refer to something Jay told me way back when I was designing my sub....." Frank, keep it simple!"
Fortunately that also helps keep it cheap. An absolute minimum number of high quality components, connected in such a way as to be simple to install and maintain, with replacement/maintenance as a driving design factor.
Frank D.