Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Surplus Thrusters?

The motors Cliff is talking about are probably pressure rated for very deep water as well (5-20k feet). Unfortunately those kind of products are typically targeted toward the oil/gas industry which has deep pockets. On the other hand, you can go through a lot of potentially unreliable minn-kotas for $8k.

Jon

Cliff Redus wrote:
Greg, I am not knocking the Minn Kota's. If I can not find used commercial grade thrusters at a reasonable price, I will go with Minn Kota's. Commercial grade thrusters are design from the ground up to be thrusters. The biggest market for thrusters is the ROV industry. In the area I work which is off shore oil and gas , day rates for deepwater drilling rigs can run over $400,000 per day. When a ROV goes into water, it has work or it cost the operator big time. So thrusters on these units are heavy duty and very reliable as a rule. Also there is the issue of duty cycle. Commercial thrusters are meant to operate many hours a stretch on a day in and day out basis. These points imply to me at least that commercial thrusters are probably more reliable than a converted boat trolling motor. Reliability does not come cheap. I got a quote on some Tecnadyne thrusters. For thrust on the order of 60 lbs, your talking $8000 per thruster. This does include the cost of the control electronics.