Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aquarius Ride

Hi Brian. I hope you didn't think Jeff and I were ignoring you on that dive. We were just gabbing away, and then suddenly realized that it was your first dive, which made you the most important passenger aboard. As for submersibes at sea, there will always be SOME work, but not enough to sustain a period like I went through. ROVs are not cheaper, but they are safer for personnel, and do a lot. AUVs will undertake all the drudge work (mapping, etc) and science will use whatever is stylish and/or available at the moment. Unfortunately, the folks who are now getting PhDs with AUVs are going to be department heads one day, and will fall back on what they are used to, which won't be manned subs unless they were exposed to them. The trick is to get those silly twits out from behind their computer screens and into the water.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Cox <ojaivalleybeefarm@dslextreme.com>
To: Personal_Submersibles@Psubs. Org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Wed, Oct 14, 2009 1:44 am
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aquarius Ride

Hey Vance,
             It was fun going down in Aquarius with you !  I know for you it
was probably your zillenth dive but it was a first for me !   I kind of
figured it would be really swell to actually go underwater in a submarine !
but until you do it how are you gonna know ?   It's like scuba diving with
out getting wet !  Such a smooth ride all the way.

  I'm still trying to digest all the info that Phil was throwing out to us !
It seems like with all the dicoveries of addtional oil fields on land that
things have shifted away from oil being developed off shore, there by
reducing the need for submersibles for that purpose.  That was a good source
of income for a lot of sub work.  Do you see any industry that will be using
submersibles in the future?

Brian