Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Beneath the Blue

Well said Vance.

ROV's and AUV's certainly have their place or else they wouldn't be as popular as they are. However, I agree that nothing beats being there in person. We may find that our small subs are more valuable then we think and that we can actually play a role in oceanographic observation and research. Consider astronomy, where most comets are discovered by amateur astronomers using very small telescopes. As professionals have moved to researching larger questions surrounding deep sky objects in the universe, amateurs have taken up the role of keeping an eye within our own solar system.

I agree with Vance, that we can definitely be part of the equation. Our organization will help get us there.

Jon

vbra676539@aol.com wrote:
And you wondered what I was doing out there on those damned ships all that time? As you watch these, folks, consider the fact that Florida Atlantic University, the new owner of HBOI, is in the process of selling that ship and sticking the subs into long term storage (read museum). As wonderful as the digital outputs from the multi-beam sonars and AUV mapping is, nothing even approaches those moments when the Mark I Human Eyeball (in Navy-speak) meets the sea. Did anyone see a pile of ROVs in any of Phil's shops and shelves and storage bins? Nope. If he needs one, I suspect he knows right where to get it--but mostly he doesn't need one, or want one. These videos are wonderful examples of just WHY man-in-the-sea is so important. And maybe it is a little vindication for all the mad hours in the garage for a certain lunatic fringe that I could name. We're part of the equation, and we need to keep getting the word out. Great stuff, Alec. Thanks for turning us on to it.
Vance