RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hello; Design; Materials; Thanks

TC,

We can’t seem to read your mind and provide the answers you are looking for.  Normally after a newbie has played with the calculator and found a combination of hull plate and stiffeners that he thinks meets his needs, he then approaches the list and enquires for opinions on his choices.  From your comments concerning historic submersibles, it appears that you already have a design chosen and we just haven’t been able to guess what it is.  Not knowing your financial or educational background, I have politely tried to tell you previously that a sub of the dimensions that you propose is going to be quite expensive and troublesome to handle.

If you look at the technologies that the drug runners use in their semi-submersibles, there isn’t a whole lot of high tech that goes into their building.  What you propose if done in wood and fiber glass would be a short stretch of their building capabilities back in the swamps of Colombia.  A steel sub would take a lot more investment in materials and technical capabilities on their part with technical capabilities probably being the limiting factor.

Since we don’t know what your stiffener spacing is, we can’t tell you whether ¼” or 3/8” steel would meet your needs (it needs to be slightly thicker than the ideal thickness to account for corrosion over the life of sub since it will most likely have to remain in the water due to its size).  Shape has a lot to do with hull thickness also, to make the calculation correctly plate theory has to be used.  Or if no stiffeners, the calculator will tell you the thickness of straight rolled metal.  You do not give us sufficient information to give you advice…as someone else has told you, we are not here to design your boat but will give you advice.  And be prepared “If they criticize your design, it means they actually cared enough to think about what you propose”, an interesting quote that I recently came across and paraphrased here.  If you want to build a replica, do you want to use materials similar to the original hull?  If a replica, which one?  Davids were not meant to dive, the Holland had a riveted hull, can’t remember much of the particulars on Goubet but I seem to remember that it wasn’t very functional (a quick check on the Web shows that it could not maintain depth or course so was deemed a failure even though supposedly the first electric submarine).

And yes some of us do look at the designs of historical submersibles.  I have stood inside of Holland’s Fenian Ram and have laid my hands on his drawings while at Electric Boat along with reviewing the original drawings of my great-great uncle Simon Lake for his Argonaut I & II, Explorer, and mods to his Defender submersibles.  Most of these subs are impractical as PSUBs let alone dangerous.  The Holland porpoised all of the time and the Argonauts were meant to either operate on the surface or on the bottom (100’ on a snorkel for great lengths of time).  Please attend the upcoming conference in Vancouver where I will be presenting a design review of the WW II German 2-man Seehund submersible.

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

Save the whales, collect the whole set.