RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hello; Design; Materials; Thanks

TC.

Calculate the volume of the size you want in cubic meters and you have how many tons it will be approx.  The sizes you are throwing casually around will weigh in at 24 tons.  This forum is to help people with knowledge so they can design their own.  It is not to do the design for them.  You have been given advice and access to the tools you require.  I think it is now up to you to do some work.  We are not going to argue with you.  We will help where we can and I have had a lot of assistance from the good people on this forum  for which I am grateful, but you need to be clear on what you want to do and the budget you have.  If you are serious then you have a 3 year project minimum.  Cheers,  Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of T.C. Craig
Sent: 20 September 2009 10:20
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hello; Design; Materials; Thanks

Jay,

Thank you for the clarification.

"I think the issue that most of the people on here...that it doesn't really cost any more to go to a deeper depth."

I understand that reasoning, and it's extremely valid.   However, this reasoning represents a cost/benefit analysis rather than an analysis of design viability.  Furthermore, it speaks to the philosophical idea of "as deep as you can afford" which makes sense, considering the amount of work is the same.  However, it's also a calculus based on sunk costs, and fails to include continuous running costs and maintenance.

Consider this perspective: a thin shell of mild steel will forgo deeper depths, but what it loses in ability it gains in maintenance.  Mild steel plates of a thin profile are more ubiquitous than plates of a greater thickness -- more or less.  In fact, the thicker the hull plating, the more specialized it becomes.  In a pinch, I could always weld a thick plate to a thinner one and enjoy roughly the same psi-resistance, but the reverse is not true, as the vessel can only withstand the pressure of its weakest plating.  When it comes to a boat in near continuous operation, the higher the serviceability, the lower its running costs.  All of which is well worth remaining in "milder" 30' - 60' depths.

Now, in terms of budgets, I think I can agree with that assessment. Most people aren't' used to building in terms of volume and displacement.  Honestly, I modified the dimensions of a sail boat figuring the greater part of the weight/interior placement was done.   I added 5' fore and aft for control/engine stations and included another half-foot to the beam; all cylindrical, of course  My design might be a bit ambitious for my resources, and I appreciate you pointing that out.  I have no frame-of-reference for what is "big" in terms of submersibles, which is one of the reasons why I'm posting here.

In terms of "safety" on something like the Russian sub, it wouldn't be too difficult to infer it's dimensions and ability.  Although this isn't mentioned, I figured it's an ambient submarine, considering it's depth restriction to 30', the number of portholes, and it's comparative lightness.  At one point his sole motive force were bicycle peddles attached to a propeller.  There's no reason why this design couldn't be into something safer.

I have my reasons for wishing to keep my op-depths shallow, and my only request is that the community graciously help me clarify this concept.

-T