Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery charging

Lead acid cells put out a little over 2 volts per cell. Don't get that
confused! A 12v battery has 6 cells, and is fully charged when it sits at 12.6
to 12.8 volts, for flooded lead acid. Other sealed types put out a bit lower
voltage, like 12.5v when charged, which is some kinds need a specific charger.

Redundancy is a good idea but using 4 sets of batteries separately is going to
be difficult to keep track of one sets gets used more and goes dead first etc.
isn't it?

I would make two main separate battery sets (A and B) with the power wires
coming inside the hull in to two separate switch boxes (A and B), and then a
 small C set of batteries for emergency power, which isn't normally used and is
kept fully charged. Your 4 motors (motor A, B, C and D) will half run off the A
switch box and the other half on B. Your A and C motors run off switch box A and
your B and D motors will run off switch box B. Then you can have a FUSED and
switched circuit that connects your A and B battery set together in PARALLEL so
that they discharge at the same rate, and can be charged together.

For example, in box A you would wire it like this: The wires come from battery
bank A to a switch which connects to the power rail in the box A. The power
rail is connected to a switch and fuse which connects it to the switch and fuse
in the power rail on switch B, which is wired the same way. Two switches and
smaller fuses connect motor controllers A and C. Switch box B and its power
rail are connected the same way, but to box A, and motors B and D. The motor
controller switches are all double poll switches. Each motor controller should
have a light to show when it is getting power.

Now, the 3rd emergency battery has its own 4 fuses and switches which are kept
turned off at all times. The first two switches connect to the off positions
connectors on the 2 motor controller switches on power box A, which connect
motor controllers A and C. The second switch connects to box B, and connects
motor controllers B and D. Because it is wired to the off positions on the
motor controller switches, the emergency battery can only be used to run a
motor controller when its switch is in the off position, disconnected from its
main power rail.

Now you have a fail safe system, here are some things that are prevented from
going wrong:

1) Each motor controller can be turned on and off by its switch on the power
box, as the switches or emergency bank C are kept off, or from main to
emergency power if the corresponding switch on bank C is turned on.

2) If a motor controller shorts out, it's fuse will blow, or it can be turned
off by the switch.

3) If a switch box shorts out (which is very rare!), the fuse on the connecting
wire will blow and the other switch box will continue to operate the two motors
connected to it. The remaining two motors will probably still be able to
be switched to the emergency bank C.

4) If a battery bank fails, it can be turned off with the main switch. The
circuit will still get power from the connecting wire from the other bank. If a
battery bank shorts out, blowing the fuse on the connecting wire, the two
motors on the other side will continue to work. The battery switch on the
shorted bank can be turned off, the fuse replaced, and all 4 motors will work
again. The motors can run on emergency power while the fuse is being replaced.

5) If the operator lets the batteries run dead, the emergency bank C can be
used.

6) All circuits are isolated from each other by fuses, no single short in any
part of the system can interrupt power to all 4 motors.

7) In any panic situation any motor controller can switch to emergency bank C
in a few seconds by flipping two switches, by turning it's main switch to
OFF/emergency and turning on the corresponding switch on the emergency bank C.

The emergency bank C is isolated from the main battery banks and can never be
switched to connect to the main power bus A or B.

I've always wondered how airplane power buses worked. You know they have an
emergency battery and turbine in case of power loss.

Alex

--
Mailed with XFmail on 17-Sep-2009.
God saved Noah, but Noah had to build an ark!