From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of andy goldstein
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:29 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Drop Weights

Jay,

You are on Andros, you cant find an acoustic tracking system there :) ?

The most "inexpensive" acoustic nav system in the world is gonna be the
Desert Star stuff.

The simple pingers/pinger receivers are about $300 USD - $500 USD

The lowest cost full 3-d tracking system would be the short-baseline system.
Those start at around $6K.

Still kinda spendy.

Any other new acoustic nav system from say Linkquest, ORE, Applied Physics,
etc. will be in the $15K to $20K range.  That is at the lower price
spectrum.  The sky is the limit from there.

Every once in a while some company comes out with an acoustic nav product
for the recreational diver market.  The price range there is usually below
$3K or so.  But those products generally disappear pretty quick.  It's a
very small market where testing R&D is pretty expensive.

One suggestion:

1) Contact lease agencies in some oil patch region like GOM or North Sea.
They may have older used equipment like ORE Trackpoint II's you could get
'cheaply'.  Also some universities probably have stuff sitting on shelfs.

Building one is a reasonable effort, sometimes Univ. Students build them for
the AUV competitions.  You might be able to build a working one for less
than $3K if your time was free and you only had to buy beer for your test
boat crew...cheap beer, like Schlitz or something.

Although if I was getting acoustic gear for a sub, the first thing I would
get would be voice comms.  Like an OTS or the newtcomm...

-a

--
Andy Goldstein
Director Software Engineering

VideoRay and BlueView Technologies Partner For The 2009 Underwater Port
Security Tour

Please visit http://www.underwaterportsecuritytour.com/
for Tour Dates, Agenda, and Registration Information

below or send a blank email message to:

Removal of your email address from this mailing list occurs by an automated