From: James Frankland <james@guernseysubmarine.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Tue, Sep 15, 2009 12:14 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Drop Weights

Hello Frank
Ive been thinking the same thing.  I notice that a lot of the K boats have to
have extra lead inside to get the boat to the correct diving weight.  I was
thinking of putting that extra weight outside and make it droppable.  (if i need
to, i have excess weight in my endcaps as they are thicker than they need to be)
I suppose its a balancing act between stability, ascent rate and increased
bouyancy.  I believe the K 350 weights are supposed to allow you to surface with
a totally flooded battery pod.  Not sure on the weight as i havent made them
yet.
Not sure who but someone said a while back "you dont want to drop the weights
and come up upside down!".  Could be more of an issue with your saucer shape?
The wheels on the keel sounds like a great idea.
Regards
James