To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:10 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Cheap stainless steel hull coating idea

Hello everyone on the mailing list this is my first post I hope it goes through.

We all know that salt water grade stainless steel costs a lot, so only rich
people making small submarines should use it.

So I had this idea:
  Make a regular submarine hull, then put stainless stell rings around the
outside of the hull which are little spacers that are about a half to an inch
high. The inside of these rings will be welded to the hull. Then get thin
stainless steel sheet metal to wrap around the outside of the hull and weld it to the stainless steel spacer rings. Now you have a small gap between the thick inner steel hull and the very thin outer stainless stell hull. The space in between the two hulls will be filled with water with antifreeze, oil or some
other non corrosive liquid. There will be plugs at the top of the hull for
inspection, so that if any salt water has leaked in it will be detected and
problem can be addressed before hull damage occurs.

Has anyone thought of this or seen it before ?

Alex
--
Mailed with XFmail on 12-Sep-2009.
God saved Noah, but Noah had to build an ark!

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53
Weare, NH  03281