Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Test #2 of collision avoidance sonar

Hi David. Good work on the passive sonar. I think the most useful application for this as you've said before is in the area of communication between subs and/or surface craft. Once two systems are deployed and working with each other the benefits will be seen.
As far as using it for collision avoidance, it's pretty hard to beat the pinger devices.
Have you ever considered looking into a laser based device ?
Small laser technology has become both inexpensive and widely available in a large range of size and strength.
I don't know much about lasers or how far through the water it would penetrate but it could be possible to adapt something like one of those little laser pointers to detect an object near a sub.
Frank D.