Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Tao Xiangli's submarine

Excellent work Alan! Count me in as a resource anytime required. Let me see...do I speak Chinese? Hmm. No, so no help there. But if this fellow has access, I'll bet he'd be interested.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan James <alanjames@xtra.co.nz>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Tue, Sep 8, 2009 3:18 pm
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Tao Xiangli's submarine

Hi psubbers,
Well I've tracked him down & made contact.
First point of contact was a reuters reporter in China who was quite concerned.
Below is correspondance so far. (read from bottom up)
Alan

Thanks Christina.
Firstly we are interested in wether Tao's design is ambient (presurized from the inside with compressed air so the
inside air pressure is equal to the outside water pressure at any depth), or 1 atmosphere (normal submarine where
the strength of the hull resists the outside water pressure).
If as we suspect, it is t he 1 atmosphere; how thick is the metal the barrels are made of & what dimentions are they?
Does he have reinforcing rings inside them?
I have seen a quote of 33ft as Tao's maximum dive depth, this could be way too deep for the barrels.
With submarines there is a design crush depth, the depth at wich by calculation the submarine should crush.
The test depth at wich the submarine has been tested to UNMANNED.
Then the maximum operating depth wich is 1/2 of the unmanned tested depth.
The operating depth could be 1/4 of the submarines estimated crush depth.
At 33 ft deep there is 2,116 pounds of pressure on every square foot of the submarine.
Should the submarine colapse with Tao in it, does he know that if he escapes at depth he will have compressed air in
his lungs & needs to breath out as he ascends to avoid his lungs bursting & possible death.
Does Tao have any questions? We would be happy to answer them for him.
We are very impressed, its a difficult task building a submarine.
If you look on the psub site under members projects there are a lot of pictures of submarines in progress.
Regards Alan