Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hatch Sealing Means

Hi Frank,  I've seen a number of quite thick cross section O-rings used to seal hatches. Peter Madsen has done this on his hatches and for the large full OD pressure hull unbolt able flange that he built to be able to open up the engine compartment of Kraka. You also see this on Euronaut and AP6 Alicia.  I suspect many of these thick O-rings are softer then the much thinner ones that are commonly used.  The size and softness, I think gives them more ability to seal a uneven and / or warped surface.  I don't think Peter needed to machine any of his hatches, or hatch lands, if I'm reading his emails to me correctly.

Peter didn't even need to cut a O-ring groove. He just rolled some square stock steel rings and welded them onto the hatch to form a O-ring groove between them.  Pretty simple solution really.

Brent

Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Cast dome cost

Hi Dean. Good point. Even though we work very hard to get out hatch flanges flat and smooth, there's always going to be some slight difference between the two flanges. A "O" ring will still seal it up once the pressure is applied.
For Glen....the hatch dogs are mainly to hold the hatch down and sealed when you are near the surface. Once you submerge, the pressure on the hatch compresses the "O" ring. The pressure near the surface isn't always enough to prevent leaks, so the hatch dogs pull the hatch down until you reach ten to fifteen feet, then the hatch seals itself. It's tempting to tighten the hatch dogs  because they will become loose at depth once the pressure builds up but don't. When you come back up, the dogs will be too tight and either you use a hammer to get them loose or you go back down to loosen them.
Let's say you have a 24 inch hatch....At 100 feet deep that's about 3 atmospheres. Multiply the square inches of your hatch by the difference between inside and outside pressure and it's a BIG number ! That's how much pressure is being applied to the hatch.
That little "O" ring is being flattened inside it's groove, and being forced into the tiny gap between the two steel flanges. It won't leak. I've seen hatch flanges with several layers of paint on them and they are a long way from perfectly flat with the paint layers and scratches etc. It still seals good.
Most guys are using 1/4 or 3/8 "O" rings with a #70 hardness.
Remember to get the groove machined with a slight taper on the inside wall and size the "O" ring to fit snug. That way it stays put when you open the hatch.
Frank D.