[PSUBS-MAILIST] 2009 PSUBS Convention - Diving update

Hi Folks,

I thought you might want a status on the diving. Everything below is SUBJECT TO CHANGE and NOTHING IS FINIALIZED.

Phil is working arranging diving for Friday, 02 October 2009. He has all the contacts and resources. We are in his hands.

He is looking at borrowing a barge to run the operations from. Subject to the schedule of the barge.

>From the barge the submersible Aquarius will be able to take two passengers. Since Aquarius will be operated by a Nuytco employee it can roam as much as it wants. The Deepworkers however can only be dived one sub at a time since it must stay hooked to the wench cable. What that means at most with Aquarius and a Deepworker only 3 PSUBers can be diving at a time.

Turnaround time for a Deepworker will be a minimum of 45 minutes. If the Aquarius can be pulled for a passenger change on the same schedule then we are talking three PSUBers every 45 minutes. If we can dive for 8 hours that means that 10 of us will be able to dive a Deepworker and 20 will be able to dive Aquaris.

GUYS, THIS IS A VERY OPTIMISTIC SCHEDULE. Being a pessimist I doubt the turn around time will go this smooth. If we can't keep this schedule then fewer folks will get to dive. I am also not thinking about the hour transit time to and from the dive site. If transit time is part of the 8 hours then even fewer will get to dive.

How the divees get selected has not been addressed. Either first-come-first serve with a PSUBS LLC registry or some kind of lottery. Probably both. Any payments needed WILL BE DONE IN ADVANCED. No saying I'll pay on the scene. If you are serious then pony up with the funds or get out of the way. If this activity gets canceled due the availability of subs or barge PSUBS LLC will reimburse what it can.

Availability of any Deepworkers and/or Aquarius is dependent on Nuytco's schedule. If Nuytco gets a job then that is where the subs will go.

Phil is planning to dive near Indian Feather Floyd. Bottom will be 60 to 150 feet with "a good bottom, lots of fish and various sea-life, anemones, sponges, etc".

We will be required to sign Nuytco's dive waiver. The owner of the barge is checking on what legal coverage they will require.

Cost? At this time I have no details on cost other the we will pay for the fuel of the barge. That will be a couple of hundred dollars. I really expect other costs so stay tuned.

As we get more details worked out I'll let you know. Personally I advise you to be flexible and save up a wad of cash.

Phil has advised that the dive time in the Deepworker will seem to be over too quick. To shorten your operating learning curve and be able to enjoy the dive start mentally training yourself on how to operate one. The dive controls are two foot buckets on the floor. As best as I was able to capture:

                 left foot             right foot
push down toe    decend                forward
push down heel   ascend                reverse
rotate counter   turn left             turn left
   clockwise
rotate clockwise turn right            turn right

Regards,
Ray