Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Carbon Arc Removel of Starboard Thruster Thru Hull

Hi Brent. That's very interesting. I'm glad you shared that with us.
I've not had a lot of experience with gouging. I have cut some flat plate, and removed a couple of fillet welds a few years ago. It takes some practice and I've seen some experienced guys get good results with the cut edge looking pretty clean. On par with a good oxy-acetylene job but in locations where gas cutting is impractical or impossible.
It's useful and like you say, if done properly imparts less heat into the base metal.
I have some carbon rod in the shop but mostly use it for brazing. It's like TIG but without the cover gas when used with silicon/bronze. Great for sticking thin sheet metal together. Pretty handy to keep around. The larger rods make good pencils too!  Good for drawing on the floor when doing large lay-outs. Frank D.