RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ball Valves

Alec,
That seating of plastic against metal is relatively hard to seal at low pressures.  You could make up a Teflon shuttle to replace the ball and that may fix your problem but without seeing the valve design I am only guessing. The only seat to use is one where a ball or shuttle seats against the metal but engages a soft seat such as an O'ring or such just before they hit the metal seat.  Parker, Nupro have such small 1/4" valves with low cracking pressures.  Sometimes an O ring will provide enough friction to hold the shuttle slightly off centre stopping from engaging fully and will weep as well until there is sufficient back pressure to allow full seating. Our 1/4" valve goes for $35 but is not suitable without modification.  For best results you need to specify max pressure and the cracking pressure you want because if you have a rating for say 1000 psi then you need a more expensive option.  Hope that helps.  Chs Hugh

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Smyth, Alec
Sent: 19 August 2009 06:40
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ball Valves

Hi Hugh,

Aha, now I know your expertise I'm afraid I've got a question to suit!
I've long used a little SS check valve tee'd into the depth gauge
instrumentation line to bleed off cabin overpressure. It's of the sort
that has a little plastic sphere (actually a segment of a sphere) that's
spring loaded against a polished SS seat. Anyway, the valve works very
well and serves its intended function, but has an irritating tendency to
leak just a tiny trickle in spite of careful cleanings of plug and seat.
I don't mean there's a stream of water, but it drips constantly, perhaps
a drip per second or so. I forget what the rated pressure was, but the
pressures I'm using the valve at are way beneath the specified rating.

D'you have any recommendation for a check valve that might not have that
irritating leak? It must also have a low cracking pressure, just a
couple of psi.

Thanks,

Alec