Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:16 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Buoyancy

Hi Vance. That's not only a very scary story, but illustrates a good point.
If our little sub got really stuck, like with a rope around a prop, there's no way we're going to get it loose with a drop weight or lift bag or whatever.
To jettison the snagged part makes good sense.
Although there's not many places my sub can get snagged, it's always possible ( hell, even likely ) that Murphy's Law will find that one spot and hook something in there.
I'm trying to think of a way to jettison something like a thruster, but nothing comes to mind just yet. Certainly something to consider. I'm not too keen on the "explosive bolt" concept, but let me ponder this a while.
Maybe something like a latched motor mount,  with the shaft using a spline that can slide off. The wiring could be fairly easy to release, and the latch could be operated like a drop weight mechanism where a hand pump and hydraulic cylinder disconnects the mount.
HMMMMMMMM....lots to think about here. Thanks for that Vance. Frank D.