From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:39 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Buoy release

The extra lift bag seems like a good, simple device with several applications. I remember reading some where that a 55 gallon plastic barrel when submerged and filled with air can lift about 2000 pounds. The guys were lifting cannon off the sea floor. A guy could make his own soft lift bag, or buy one from one of the manufacturers. Brent posted some links on those a while back.

The red sub in Michigan I saw a couple of years ago had lift bags installed under some spring loaded lids that could be deployed in an emergency.

If your MBT's were broken/leaking, and your emergency drop weight wouldn't drop, or your normal "air blow" system was not working, then maybe a lift bag system as a back-up could be useful. Redundant systems are good, but don't replace a well designed and built primary air system.

Frank D.