Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Compass

 Brent had a few pics of the sub Persistence that I haven't seen before, and one thing that caught my eye was his compass viewable through the window. I followed the discussion last year on compass types and how they do or don't work inside a steel sub.
I got the impression back then that only an expensive gyro compass would work for our little subs. Is it workable to have the compass outside like that?
There was also one on another video I watched along with the Snoopy Wall Dive one Alec just put up.
Protecting and oil compensating a good quality compass ain't so bad if it works at showing north. This was one of those things I've saved for future investigation but the solution looks to be right there. Anybody got any info on this? Frank D.