From: brenthartwig@hotmail.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Electrical thru-hulls
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 21:18:40 -0700

Hi Frank,

I like the threaded copper rod idea as well.  You can seal bare solid wires also. See the pictures of the electrical thru hulls on Persistence. The ones that show the parts before and after potting are not on his projects page any longer.

http://www.psubs.org/projects/1234567813/persistence/

I've been pondering putting my electrical wiring in hydraulic hoses and fittings then filling the void space with transformer oil or the like, and having a little bladder connected to the whole works inside the sub to equalize the pressure at depth, when the sub is flooded for a wet exit exercise. This is how my friend told me they did it on the DSV Turtle, for the exterior wiring that was in tubes, with a bladder also outside.

Brent

Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 11:48 AM

Hi Brent. I'll be using female/female bell reducers with the small end threaded onto the nipple, and the large end receiving a hose barb fitting for attachment of the clear plastic tubing.
The wires that go thru the epoxy aren't really wires, but are copper threaded rod, so the epoxy sticks and holds the rods in place, and the surface area of copper to epoxy is greatly increased. Plus, the copper all-thread is easy to find, they have it at the local hardware store. The wires connecting from the potted rods to the batteries ( inside ) or to the motors ( outside ) have a longish socket type connector to minimize resistance and heat build-up. I don't think you can just put wires in the epoxy, that will leak under high pressure. You need a shoulder or threads or something to keep the rods sealed in the epoxy. With oil compensation under high pressure, it's possible for the oil to be pushed past a smooth wire in epoxy. Frank D.