RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escape from sub

The best way that I’ve found to avoid having to escape from a sub is to follow the “ADP” rule (Always Dive Positive). My sub was originally set up to sink to the bottom (slightly negative) and put around in the silt. At some point I decided to add a single vertical thruster (with variable speed) like a few other subs had. What a difference! It is so much more enjoyable to dive positive and power the sub down. Hover at any depth by turning a dial. Now I can fly over the bottom without kicking up a bunch of silt. But best of all, if you cut power the sub slowly comes back to the surface. It makes for much more enjoyable diving- especially when the bottom is deeper than you want to be! I can highly recommend adding a vertical thruster to any kind a sub you happen to own.

As far as submarine rescue goes, the JSL’s have a neat system. They send up a buoy on a small line and the surface support vessel sends down a heavier line (that follows the small line back down) with a grappling hook that grabs the sub.

But even if you don’t have a support vessel, it’s a great idea to have a releasable buoy. Alec has a great looking system like that on his sub “Snoopy”

Greg