Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escape from sub

Hi Dean. Ya, Superior is WAY cold. The water here is cold too, not as much though.
A survival suit would be good. They use them in Alaska on the fishing boats, and the coast guard has some good ones. They are available to the public, but I bet they cost a bundle. As a last resort ( escape), that seems like a good choice to have available.
It seems to me that if we build our boats with a good safety factor, due diligence on quality control, and stay out of water that's too deep for them, it's better to sit and wait for help.
The boat has to be designed to withstand anything that could happen, plus. I don't relish the thought of trying to swim up 500 feet after struggling out of a sunken tin can. Let's hope we never have to find out. Frank D.